French Gift Basket and Gift Ideas
Find the perfect French gift for your favorite Francophile
What Are French Gift Giving Rules? To Know See Our 7 Tips
French Social Gift Giving Etiquette Rules:
- In France gift giving is neither expected nor ritualistic. Traditional celebrations are for gift giving. For example: Christmas, Birthday, Wedding, Christening, Hostess Gifts.
- Appropriate and Traditional French gifts: Flowers, Perfume, Chocolates, Wine, and Liquors.
- If you are not asked or invited to use the first name of someone-Do not use it.
- Use titles for senior citizens, for example, “Sir,” and, “Madame.” if you do not know their name.
- Always offer your hand both upon meeting and upon leaving.
- Give your handshake a quick and light feel, never rough or excitedly pumping someone’s hand up and down.
- When meeting socially touching both cheeks and kissing air is good – This is called, “Les bises.”
- Never talk about your gift in terms of how much it cost or what you paid for it – whether a large or small amount does not matter. To the French, you are being ill-mannered, rude, and tacky.